What is Kashmir Shaivism?
Kashmir Shaivism is a complete path of initiation that provides everything needed to reach spiritual realisation. At the essence of this elevated path is Shiva.
It offers you fundamental keys for awakening the soul, for understanding deeper and deeper who you truly are, until finally revealing the ultimate Self – in the here and now.
Kashmir Shaivism is considered one of the most elevated forms of yoga and Tantrism; as it penetrates straight to the core of spiritual knowledge, and dives deep into esoteric principles from the outset.
Kashmir Shaivism provides an understanding of living in full awareness of your true Self, by:
- Gaining an understanding of the universe and its building blocks, or the tattvas, and how consciousness unfolds within it, thereby coming to understand our place and role within the universe
- Obtaining an overview of the four fundamental paths of spiritual evolution, identifying where you are on this journey, and how best to accelerate your transformation
- Studying ancient spiritual texts in-depth, and how to apply the teachings in daily life
- Learning methods to reach spiritual enlightenment according to your current level of consciousness (e.g. meditation techniques, methods based on aesthetic experiences, methods based on breath, external objects, etc.)
Where even suffering is transformed into joy, where even poison becomes nectar, where the world itself is a way of liberation, there is the way of Shiva!Utpaladeva
What makes our Kashmir Shaivism course special?
Tara is the only school in the UK offering an ongoing course on the esoteric teachings of Kashmir Shaivism. Founded over 25 years ago, this course is also attended by thousands of practitioners throughout Europe in our sister schools.
Traditionally, a deep understanding and practical use of the principles and techniques taught in Kashmir Shaivism required a high level of consciousness and spiritual preparation in its students. While this might make it seem inaccessible to many, in our course, we bring the profound esoteric teachings forward in an accessible and practical way for modern day life, so that it is still possible to benefit from the invaluable insights of this tradition.Why Shiva?
Who is it for?
This tradition attracts those who aspire to have an open and awakened heart, an open and creative mind, a pure, honest and curious nature, who wish to discover the essence of themselves and of everything, and who have a thirst for knowledge and self-knowledge.
People who are interested in studying the ancient texts and their insights, in understanding the core principles of the universe, and answering the fundamental existential questions such as “Who am I?”, “What is my purpose?”.
People who wish to accelerate their spiritual growth & development, to learn techniques & methods revealed by ancient secret lineages, and to reach the highest spiritual accomplishment.
Those who are not satisfied with simplified answers, who want to know the depth of the truth, to delve into greater notions, who are curious to know more and remove ignorance.
What you will learn
This course is the study of Advaita Shaivism as it was known and practised in Kashmir. The fundamental aspects of this unique spiritual tradition will be gradually revealed
- The mysteries of the 36 essential aspects of manifestation – the tattvas
- Tools to awaken the soul through beauty, objective art, purifying of emotions (rasas), the enneagram
- Initiatory and practical study of fundamental Kashmir Shaivism treatises, such as Shiva Sutra, Spanda Karika, Vijnana Bhairava Tantra etc.
- Secrets of the 3 (+1) essential paths to spiritual liberation:
- the path of the Limited Being — Anavopaya
- the path of the Deifying Energy — Shaktopaya
- the path of Shiva — Shambavopaya
- the Supreme Path, or the Path without steps — Anupaya
- Spirituality in daily life
- A special initiation in Sri Vidya esotericism; the mantras of the 15 nityas of the Great Macrocosmic Power Tripura Sundari
- Methods to awaken Consciousness
- The mysteries of the phonemic godly energies of the creative godly Logos
- Full revelation, from an efficient, practical perspective, of the 112 major direct methods of enlightenment contained in the esoteric treatise Vijnana Bhairava Tantra, which confer the revelation of the Immortal Supreme Self, Atman, and ecstatic, complete union with God
Some initiations will be given as a result of passing optional written tests. On passing such tests you can receive the following initiations:
- Kshurika mantra: a mantra that is specific to the Shaivism tradition for opening brahmarandhra, bestowing the ability to instantly transcend the limited individual condition, as well as to practise the secret method of the “transfer of consciousness”, known as Phowa in Tibetan tradition
- Maithuna – a secret erotic Tantric procedure
- Secret spiritual methods comprised in the famous work Sundaryalahari
- The mantra of the complete transcending of all limitations inherent to the common human condition, as well as of individual karma
- The spiritual traditional ceremony of adoration of Shiva
- Secret mantras for awakening the three essential hypostases of the formidable power of the Shiva lingam
What a class looks like
Classes will include a mixture of both presentations and meditations. The presentations will explore the authentic spiritual texts of the tradition, with references and parallels to our current era being made. The meditations will focus on awakening particular states, energies or aspects in connection with the lesson’s topic, such as boundless aspiration, or the awakening of the soul etc. By combining both the intellectual and experiential forms of knowledge – you will gain the spiritual insight and impulses to bring the principles into your everyday life.
There will also be the chance to ask questions, to discuss ways to apply these teachings in everyday life, and to share insights and experiences. At the end of the class, you will be given a handout of the notes in connection with the topic of the class.
2 – 2.5 hour class twice per month, combining knowledge and practice
Structured lessons with course notes given after each class
Teachers with +7 years experience of personal practice, available for personal questions & support
Ongoing course (no end date) – continue for as long as you choose to
Buy the Try Tara Pass to join our courses!
This course is part of the
Try Tara Pass
Gives unlimited access to all our courses for
4 consecutive weeks
The best way to try our courses is with the Try Tara Pass which gives you access to all our courses for four consecutive weeks. Even if you are only interested in one course, it is still the cheapest option, and you also get discounted members prices if you buy workshops or events during these four weeks.
You can buy this pass now, and start using it when our courses begin in October. The pass will activate when you attend your first class. Come along as close to the beginning of the courses as you can, so you get the most out of them.
This offer has no strings attached, and if you’d like to continue after the Pass ends, the cost of this course is £30 per month.
Hear from our students about what Kashmir Shaivism has brought to their lives.
Due to the common principles that are shared across religions, students of a particular faith often find that the tools and knowledge taught in our courses help them go much deeper into their current practices.
Also, with the down-to-earth wisdom of our teachings, there is something for everyone to apply in their life for more fulfilment and meaning – whether you believe in ‘something’ or not.
Secondly, the extensive resource of the course notes which are handed out at the end of each class, as well as our large spiritual library.
Finally, we are a strong spiritual community. Tara has been running in the UK for over 20 years. There are many teachers and students with a wealth of experience, who have seen peaks and troughs on their own spiritual paths as well as on other’s. Such a community provides a strong backbone under which all students – new and old – can grow and flourish.
If you would like to attend just one class, you can do so for £17. You can buy a single class four times before choosing if you’d like to join or not. For the best price, we recommend the Try Tara Pass.
However, the courses remain open to new students for some weeks, so it is possible to join later if necessary.
If you join later, you can catch up by reading the course notes from previous classes, asking the teachers questions, and we run catch-up sessions from time to time. There is also the option, as part of your membership, to repeat the weeks missed from the first year without extra payment if you continue into year 2.